Saturday, December 29, 2007

Would you trade Stoudemire for Garnett now?

During the offseason talks of the past Summer most of us discussed about a possible trade bringing Kevin Garnett to Phoenix.

Before KG being dealt to Boston on July 31st for a bunch of more or less promising young players - and a lifetime beer supply from Danny Ainge to old pal Kevin McHale - the Suns made a real attempt to bring him to the Valley.
More or less, from what we know now, the Suns were offering, in a three-team deal, Shawn Marion and some draft picks for Garnett while Minnesota was asking for Stoudemire.

Steve Kerr basically refused to include one of the best young center in the League, STAT, in any talk with the Timberwolves. Most of us, included myself on this same blog, agreed with Kerr's point of view.

Now, after two months of the season I am not so sure anymore.

Kevin Garnett (6-11, 31-year-old) 18.9 PPG, 10.5 RPG, 3.6 APG, +26.56 EFF
KG has changed the face of the Celtics. Garnett plays all-out every night, he's shooting well (.545) and playing the best defense in the league. NBA MVP so far this season.


Amaré Stoudemire (6-10, 25-year-old) 21.5 PPG, 8.70 RPG, 1.2 APG, +24.89 EFF
STAT is playing one of the best, if not the best, season of his career on offense (shooting .584) while showing all his well-known limits on defense.



It all come down to this I believe: STAT means future (5-7 more years at this level) and offense while KG means present and a better overall game. Since Steve Nash is 33, Grant Hill is 35 , Shawn Marion is 29, the best chance the Suns have to win it all is NOW (this and possibly next season).

If I had a choice now I would trade STAT for KG. I feel Steve Kerr would do the same....now. But that's just speculation.
Go Suns !

3 comments:

jsuns1 said...

Hey,

I would've traded Amare for KG months ago, and obviously would now. The point on Nash and Hill being older makes this a no brainer. I feel Phoenix blew it by not offering the man who wasn't smart enough to stay on the bench and avoid getting suspended when it mattered the most. Amare is about as smart as my little brother (he's 10). But my little brother is going to improve, can you really say the same for Amare short term? Long term, Amare is definitely a franchise guy, he has the potential to be one of the best players the game has ever seen, I'm just afraid this isn't going to happen soon enough for the suns 1-3 yr window.

For the record though, I can understand why the suns kept Amare,
its like LA keeping Bynum, the guy really is amazing. But, KG is like Duncan, he really is one of the top 2-3 players of the last 15 years.

I never thought I'd be typing this, but I'm actually excited about the Celtics. I'm curious to watch more of there games...especially against the suns here...

Luca said...

Totally agree with your Amaré analysis.

I am also very impressed by the Celtics start. You don't go 27-3 (9-0 vs the Western Conf.) by chance in this League.
It should be very interesting to check the game against Detroit on saturday but I am really looking forward to the long trip West next Feb. as Boston plays Denver, GS, The Suns (finally)and Portland.

三重古天樂 said...

YA!!!
台北酒店上班