Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Shaq to Phoenix for Marion and Banks?



It sounds like a joke to me, but actually it seems it could be true, pending a Shaq physical.

For as much as I respect and admire Shaq, a great player in his prime and a very intelligent man, it doesn't make much sense to me. I know the Suns are willing to get rid of Banks' contract...but that's way too much.

The Suns would be trading Marion, 29, their best defender for Shaq, 35 going on 36, slow and basically injuried more often than not.

While a Marion for Kirilenko deal (not to mention anything bringing KG to the Valley) could have made sense, I am sorry, this one does not. Even a Marion for Gasol would have been a much better trade.

Phoenix would get a 20-minute a night player who can defend and rebound. Stoudemire will be moved to Power Forward and Boris Diaw would play a lot more.

I can't see how coach D'Antoni could agree with the move. Unless there's something we don't know, Shaq in a Suns uniform means that there's indeed a strong difference of opinion between the Coach and the GM. That trade would mean Steve Kerr is the guy in charge and that Coach D'Antoni could be out sooner than later.
Go Suns !

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to read Steve Kerr's criticisms of Shaq, and he was merciless. This sounds nuts and I'm disappointed in Kerr for what must be a capitulation because he has to know Shaq cannot help the Suns win a championship.

Luca said...

It sounds like a panic move to me and totally agree it's not gonna help the Suns at all.
This team is built to run if it'not gonna win a championship for you, then rebuild right now. Why then sign Grant Hill in the summer?
I can't see how coach D'Anatoni could ever agree on such a move