Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Anyone willing to play for a winner here?

We're entering that part of the off season when the talk is all about free agents. Who's going where, who's moving, who's staying and, above all, who are the Suns going to sign.

Taking a look at the list of free agents on ESPN.com, not counting those the Suns won't afford to sign anyway, there aren't really many good choices around.
Some of them - and I won't mention the top 4-5 players - would be of great help to the Suns: guys like Mo' Peterson, Desmond Mason, Ruben Patterson. None will be signed by the Suns, I am afraid, not after drafting Tucker at forward. I would have loved to have Luke Walton in Phoenix, but that's not going to happen anyway.

There's even some talk of bringing back Allan Houston, well I am sure he would not cost a fortune, I don't know if he'll able to play much either. He was a great shooter, possibly the best in the League, but how difficoult would be to come back after 2 years of inactivity? Could be a steal but I am not sure it's worth the risk anyway.

All the talks has focused on Grant Hill who would be a great fit in the club since he could provide solid play off the bench, experience and, if last year was any indication, 20-25 minutes, at least 10 points (not to mention a couple of assists) every night. I am not sure he will come cheap, but at this stage of his carreer he'll love to play for a winner. Grant Hill will be the Suns' main target this off season. Steve Kerr is already on the phone !

The toughest job will be to find a decent back up at PG. Any decent point guard will cost too much and I am starting to feel Coach D'Antoni will give Marcus Banks another chance, which would be a surprise. I remember seeing Mike D'Antoni play, I have seen him a lot over here back "last century", and he seemed to be making the right decision all the time, he knows a lot about playing that position and I think he has seen enough of Banks.

Back to the draft for a second, I am sure everyone will love "Doe" Tucker. He comes from a tough Chicago neighbourhood and was able to stay away from drugs, gangs and all the tragedy that comes with them. There's a nice article in the East Valley Tribune reprinted in the Suns official site.
He spent 4 years in college and completed his degree. I really hope he'll be able to fit well in a Suns team made of decent men, even before great players. Good Luck Alando. We'll be rooting for you.

Go Suns !

No comments: